There are many ways an Architect can assist you and I am happy to guide you in whatever stage of your project you are at.
I can provide you with Architectural design services covering the following sectors:
- Refurbishment and conversion – specialising in historic properties
- Extensions and alterations
- Small commercial design, conservation and refurbishment
- New build houses
- Residential design
- Loft and garage conversions
- Garden buildings and home offices
I can offer the following services:
- Architectural design and concept development
- Heritage planning advice and consultancy
- Full RIBA stages of work
- Surveys & CAD work
- Spatial design & planning
Stages of a project:
Initial client meeting – usually free of charge
Survey and Existing Drawings
- I can produce full measured drawings of your project or work with a topographical surveyor to produce accurate existing drawings of your project, these are vital for accurate designs and construction later in the process.
Sketch Scheme / Feasibility Study / Outline Proposals:
During the sketch scheme stage I will:
- Develop your brief by discussing with you your plans and aspirations, and record your brief for the project. We can establish any problems with your property, and work together to develop practical and creative solutions.
- Provide two or three ‘Outline Proposals’ for your project, based on your brief and aspirations, and discuss with you how this will fit within your anticipated budget.
- Work with the ideas you already have, and develop them to give the maximum benefit.
- Meet with you to discuss the outline proposal options and decide on the option to proceed to the next stage of Developed Design.
- Once I have drawn up some early sketch schemes, I’m happy to sit down with you and work together to create a design that really works.
- Provide advice regarding what other consultants and professionals you may need to appoint. Historic properties often require the skills from a wide range of heritage professionals. I have links to local experienced, archaeologists, structural engineers, ecologists, landscape designers and other relevant services.
During the developed design stage I will:
- Develop your preferred Outline Proposal to provide Developed Design Drawings at 1:100 or 1:50 scale, which will form the basis of a Planning Application. Listed Building Consent application if required.
- Guide you through the process.
- Provide written, reasoned explanations for the design and conservation ethos (if applicable)
- Provide a Design and Access Statement to accompany the Application if required.
- Prepare and submit the Applications and negotiate with the Planning Officers on your behalf.
Technical design – drawings and documents:
Once you have your Planning or Listed Building Consent, the next stage is to develop the design for technical approval (Building Regulations) and construction. I can tailor my involvement to suit the complexities of your project and your budget. A builder will need a good set of drawings for construction/tender and for a contractor to give you a detailed fixed price. As part of this there is likely to be a need to submit an application for Building Regulations consent.
During this stage I will:
- Develop technical drawings including plans, construction sections at a scale of 1:50, typical details, at 1:10 or other suitable scale, annotated elevations and produce a set of ‘Construction Notes’ or ‘Schedule of Works’ giving the detail of materials and construction build ups.
- Meet with the client, and if possible the contractor, during the design process to agree construction methods and processes.
- Develop solutions which are cost effective and sustainable.
Building work can be complex and stressful. I can provide a full contract administration service which includes:
- Advice and preparation of a building contract between the client and the contractor.
- Pre-construction meetings with the client and contractor to establish the programme, site details and payment terms.
- Undertake monthly formal progress meetings to check the contractors valuations and discuss programme and project issues.
- Visit site as required to monitor progress and provide advice on any issues arising.
- Certify project completion.
- Fees for this stage would largely depend on the contract value and the complexities and timescale of the proposed scheme.